Friday, August 20, 2010

Fun Surprises

So my birthday is coming up in a little over a week and this morning I was thinking back to my 16th birthday.

My parents had thrown me a surprise birthday party a few days before my birthday!! My mom had taken me out shopping and when we came back to the house I saw a few cars parked in front of the house and all I said was how one of them was parked too close to the fire hydrant. I had just got my driving permit and was in that stage where I noticed everything wrong that people were doing. We pulled into the driveway and I saw hung up over the carport. 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHALAY'. I smiled and said something like how nice it was that my dad did something so sweet. My mom looked over at me and said 'You knew didn't you?' I was entirely confused. 'Knew what?' I asked. I then looked forward to see my backyard filled with all of my friends and decorations and food! I was so surprised!!

How did I not catch on until the very moment that people came out and said 'SURPRISE!!!' I really am such an easy person to surprise!! Haha.

That got me thinking of the time when my cousins gave me a surprise bridal shower. A few days before my mom had told me that my aunt was having a candle party and that me and my sisters were invited to go. I didn't really want to go. A candle party...I'm not too big on those kinds of things. So I put it out of my mind and the day of the candle party came around. I was not planning on going, I was much more looking forward to spending the day with my fiancé. However when I talked to him on the phone that day he told me he was really sick and couldn't do anything. (I found out later of course that he was just fine. He even showed up at the end of the party.) I was super bummed and after much coaxing from my mom, dragged my feet to the candle party, clearly not thrilled with the idea. We got to my aunt's house and when my mom opened the door my first though was. 'Wow, those decorations are my wedding colors. Weird.' Yes, once again, NOT catching on to what it was all about until everyone came out to surprise me!

I mean honestly...I really didn't get that!! I still laugh at myself for being so naive!

Anyone else have silly surprise party stories to share? I would love to hear them!!

Have a great day!!

p.s. This is post 111!! That should be good luck!! :)

1 comment:

  1. That was such a fun shower! We had a blast doing it. I still need to give you all those pictures.

    ReplyDelete